WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE
A HABITAT HOMEOWNER?
Habitat for Humanity home ownership provides secure, affordable housing to low-income individuals or families who have been living in substandard rental units. Habitat for Humanity believes home ownership is a vital step in creating self-esteem in both families and neighborhoods, and is the best way to break successive generations of poverty.
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM
INDIVIDUALS OR FAMILIES ARE SELECTED BASED ON THE FOLLOWING:
1. Level of need.
2. Willingness to participate in the process, accept responsibility and be advocates for Habitat and its mission on nantucket.
3. Ability to escrow homeowner's insurance estimated cost in advance of the close and cover other closing costs at the close.
4. Ability to make timely mortgage and escrow payments.
Every Habitat affiliate follows a nondiscriminatory policy for family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing families who receive Habitat houses. Individuals from all races, sexes, and creeds are encouraged to apply.
FOR A HOME
1. Ideally constitute a family size of 4 or less, because these will be 2 bedroom homes.
We will consider some extenuating circumstances.
2. Not currently have adequate housing (substandard, seasonal, etc.)
3. Be a citizen of the United States or have permanent resident status
4. Be willing to partner with Habitat by building your home with us for at least
350 hours of "sweat equity"
5. Be able to participate in "sweat equity" hours on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
6. Have a minimum gross income per year that is 50% of the Nantucket County Median income and maximum gross income per year that is no more than 80% of the Nantucket County Median income
7. Be current on any non-medical debt, have a good credit rating, no felony convictions and no more then one conviction for a misdemeanor. There will be a criminal background check
8. Be a first-time homeowner. (We will consider some extenuating circumstances)
ALL INFORMATION GATHERED IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS CONSIDERED CONFIDENTIAL AND IS USED ONLY FOR OUR SELECTION PROCESS
The Family Selection Committee will process all applications. All applicants deemed qualified will be put into a lottery and the winning homeowner will be selected by this lottery process and then presented to the Habitat for Humanity Nantucket Board of Directors for final approval. The entire selection process can take between three and five months. Applicants not selected by the lottery may re-apply in the future. Applications are available from the website in English and Spanish or from the office.