WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE
A HABITAT HOMEOWNER?
Habitat Nantucket will be accepting New Applications for three new homes in Late Sumer 2021!
Habitat for Humanity home ownership provides secure, affordable housing to low-income individuals or families who have been living in substandard rental units. Habitat for Humanity believes home ownership is a vital step in creating self-esteem in both families and neighborhoods, and is the best way to break successive generations of poverty.
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM
INDIVIDUALS OR FAMILIES ARE SELECTED BASED ON THE FOLLOWING:
1. Level of need.
2. Willingness to participate in the process, accept responsibility and be advocates for Habitat and its mission on nantucket.
3. Ability to escrow homeowner's insurance estimated cost in advance of the close and cover other closing costs at the close.
4. Ability to make timely mortgage and escrow payments.
Every Habitat affiliate follows a nondiscriminatory policy for family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing families who receive Habitat houses. Individuals from all races, sexes, and creeds are encouraged to apply.
FOR A HOME
1. Ideally constitute a family size of 4 or less, because these will be 2 bedroom homes.
We will consider some extenuating circumstances.
2. Not currently have adequate housing (substandard, seasonal, etc.)
3. Be a citizen of the United States or have permanent resident status
4. Be willing to partner with Habitat by building your home with us for at least
350 hours of "sweat equity"
5. Be able to participate in "sweat equity" hours on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
6. Have a minimum gross income per year that is 80 % of the Nantucket County Median.
7. Be current on any non-medical debt, have a good credit rating.
8. Be a first-time homeowner. (We will consider some extenuating circumstances)
ALL INFORMATION GATHERED IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS CONSIDERED CONFIDENTIAL AND IS USED ONLY FOR OUR SELECTION PROCESS
BEFORE YOU APPLY TAKE A LOOK AT THE
FAMILY SELECTION GUIDELINES & REQUIREMENTS:
(Click to open)
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO GET READY FOR YOUR HABITAT HOME!
● Tax returns- You will be required to submit copies of tax returns from the three most
recent years. You will also need copies of your W2’s for those years.
● Income documentation from employment or self-employment. If you are an employee, you will need to submit 8 consecutive weeks of recent pay stubs. If you are self-employed you will need to provide copies of your profit and loss statements, as well as 1099’s or other supporting documentation.
● Regular income, child support, social security, veteran’s benefits, transitional assistance or other. Be sure to save your most recent award letters, court order, etc. to be able to document this type of income.
● If you are not a US citizen, you will need to demonstrate that you are a permanent resident with a copy of your “green card”.
● Bills and bank statements. You will need to submit the most recent copies at the time of your application.